BUILDING A WORLD-CLASS INSTITUTE OF THE ARTS
FROM THE GROUND UP
Mission: SoBe Institute of the Arts (SoBe Arts) promotes excellence, creativity, and accessibility of the arts through performance events and instruction of the highest quality, in music and related artistic disciplines. The Institute is committed to the sustained development of creativity and cultural life in individuals, the region and the nation by advancing artistic talents, regardless of income. A major goal is to cultivate new audiences for the fine arts.
Located at the heart of Miami Beach’s cultural arts district that includes The New World Symphony, The Bass Museum of Art, The Miami City Ballet, Miami Beach Regional Library, Miami Beach Garden Conservatory, and The CANDO Arts Cooperative, the Institute pursues the vision of a world-class arts campus. The Institute sits in a park-like setting that includes the historic Carl Fisher Clubhouse (1915), Miami Beach’s oldest public building, and the long-dormant Little Stage Theater (1937), revived in January 2010 as a flexible “black box” performance space. SoBe Arts is designated as an official Cultural Anchor of Miami Beach.
SoBe Institute of the Arts (SoBe Arts) has a long term mission to develop and build an arts, education and performance institute in South Florida. The Institute is a non-profit arts organization that works closely with the major arts institutions within the cultural arts district. To date, the Institute has provided exceptional and acclaimed professional concerts and other related events free and open to the public, as well as creating a home for music and theater education for adults and children without regard to their socio economic status.
SoBe Arts provides the opportunity to create the kind of independent arts education institution that marks the world’s great urban areas:
A high-caliber learning place for incubating the artistic talents of youth and adults,
A unique sharing environment for talented professionals to teach and collaborate on new works
An intimate performance venue for showcasing under-appreciated master works and developing innovative works
Engage in a special community to make this vision a reality
Our project requires us to raise needed funds - We need you now more than ever - please donate a "rock or two" by making a tax-deductible donation online today or by calling (305) 674-9220 for more information (No contribution is too small or too large).
Thank you for your support
Dr. Carson Kievman
Executive Artistic Director
SoBe Institute of the Arts (Mystery Park Arts Company, inc.)
SoBe Institute of the Arts began operations in December 2005 as a d/b/a of the 501 (c)(3) nonprofit arts performance & education corporation Mystery Park Arts Company, Inc. SoBe Art's Executive Artistic Director is distinguished composer and professor Carson Kievman (PhD Princeton University, MFA California Institute of the Arts, composer/director-in-residence for the Tanglewood Music festival, the New York Shakespeare Festival, Donaueschingen Festival, NationalTheater Mannheim, the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra and the Pennsylvania Ballet, winner of multiple awards from the National Endowment for the Arts and The Florida Department of State, among others).
- Giving extraordinary music, theater & dance instruction to children without regard to their ability to pay or even find this level of instruction anywhere in south florida.
- Giving extraordinary music, theater & dance instruction and high-level free performances to adults and seniors who would not otherwise have an opportunity to be exposed to music & arts at this level.
- Currently located in the historic Carl Fisher Clubhouse/Little Stage Theater Complex: The oldest, and some of the most beautiful, buildings in South Beach.
Mystery Park Arts Company, Inc. Is a Not-For-Profit Company (501 (c) (3) which functions as the fundraising arm of SoBe Institute of the Arts (SoBe Arts). It was founded 1988 for "the purpose of promoting cultural diversity and educating the public by creating, producing, and providing new music, music-theater, modern opera, and other new creative arts through live, recorded, published, video-recorded, and by other means.
Expand SoBe Arts Programs
- Raise funds to provide free or inexpensive music, music-theater, theater, dance, as well as film, literature and visual arts instruction to all levels and ages and from all socioeconomic backgrounds at SoBe Music Institute; Arts for Youth, Arts for Adults:
- Summer Programs for Children, Seniors & Adults Music (Instrumental, Voice / Music-Theater, Musicianship & Multi-Media Music History / Appreciation), Musical Theater, Theater, Dance. as well as Film, literature and visual arts.
- Fall/Winter/Spring Programs for Children and Adults (After-School & After-Work Programs)
- Instrument, Equipment & Library fund to make instruments available to all students free of charge during the program, as well as needed equipment and a library of music scores, plays and workbooks.
Build South Florida's Independent & World Class Institute of the Arts.
- Raise funds to establish and build a world-class Institute of the Arts on Miami beach (a major community arts educational Institute and a degree-granting conservatory-level arts university), Our Long term plans to develop and build of a world-class arts education institute in the south for the community and for professional degrees in music, music-theater, theater and dance, as well as visual arts, film-video, and literature.
- Raise funds for future Arts for Youth & Arts for Adults programs which will provide professional instruction in all the arts for children from all socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Raise fund to establish the one of the nations best degree-granting conservatory level arts programs
- Raise funds to support the Institute's ongoing diverse projects, which include recordings, concerts, interdisciplinary productions and other cultural innovations city, county and worldwide.
- Raise funds to establish Annual Winter Music Teaching and Performance Festivals on South Beach -- Professionals will teach and interact with students on an intensive basis culminating in performances in and around South Florida.
The Corporation is also authorized to improve public knowledge, acceptance and understanding of new music, music-theater, modern opera, and other new creative arts, by educating and informing the public and by engaging in activities in support of such arts; to identify, develop, and promote new and emerging art forms of historical and cultural significance (e.g. Internet); to help create an environment for contemporary artists to continue producing new music and new music-theater, by holding music competitions, by providing management services, workshops and lectures in new music and music-theater, modern opera, and other new creative arts; to engage in any and all other activities which will directly or indirectly help in the growth and development of new music, new music-theater, modern opera, and other new creative arts.
The corporation is not formed for any pecuniary profit or for financial gain and no part of its assets income or profit shall be distributed to or inure to the benefit of any private individual. Reasonable compensation, however, may be paid for services rendered to or for the Corporation or in furtherance of its purposes."
Return to Top
Directors and Advisors
Board of Directors
Robert Balsam, Jr. - General Manager, The Miami Beach Convention Center
Robert Chumbley (ex-officio)- (Faculty Representative) former Executive Dir., Atlanta Ballet
Carol Foster - (Secretary) Grants and Public Information Specialist, City of Miami Springs
Saul Gross - President, Streamline Properties and former Miami Beach Commissioner
Carson Kievman, Ph.D. (President)- Executive Artistic Director, SoBe Institute of the Arts
Carl Kruse - (Interim Chair) Entrepreneur/Venture Capital
Maria Chang Mayer, Attorney, Carlton Fields.
Ronald A. Unger, CPA - (Treasurer) Gerson, Preston, Robinson and Co., P.A
Past Board Service for SoBe Arts: Mark Needle (Chairman Emeritus) (2006-2011); Leslie Cooper (2009-2011); Nancy Liebman (2010-2011), Dr. Jack Gelfand (1998-2010); Laurinda Spear (2007-2008); Dr. Charles Mahl (2007-2008); Ray Breslin (2010-2012); Azia Cruz (2010-2012).
Ray Breslin - President, Collins Park Neighborhood Association
Tracy Brighty - Executive Director, Lied Austria
Diane Camber - Former Executive Director/Chief Curator (ret.), Bass Museum of Art
Charlie Cinnamon - Charles Cinnamon Associates, Public Relations
Jack Firestone - Firestone Capital Management; Former Executive Director, Louisville Orchestra
Jack Gelfand, Ph.D. - Princeton University/SUNY Oswego
Horst Kohlem - Sculpture/Painter; Miami Beach/Karlsruhe, Germany
Nancy Liebman, Arts Advocate and former Miami Beach Commissioner
Gustavo Matamoros - Director, Subtropics Music Festival
John Richard- President & CEO, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts
Ana Cecilia Velasco - Chief Operating Office, Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce
Edward Villella - Former CEO/Founding Artistic Director/Chief Executive Officer, Miami City Ballet
National Artistic Advisors (past & present)
David Arden - Pianist and President, Keys to Achievement Foundation
Earle Brown (d.) - Composer and Professor of Music
Keith Carradine - Stage & Film Actor
Patricia Collins - Broadway & Opera Lighting Designer
Lynn Taylor-Corbett - Broadway & Film Choreographer
Mario di Bonaventura - Conductor, Former Dean, Boston University Department of Music
Andre Ernotte (d.) - International Stage Director
David Delta Gier -Music Director, South Dakota Symphony, Associate Conductor, New York Philharmonic Orchestra
Paulette Haupt - Director, Eugene O'Neill Music-Theater Conference
Leon Major - Artistic Director of The Maryland Opera Institute at the University of Maryland
Daniel Selznick - Film Producer
Morton Subotnick - Composer, Professor of Music California Institute of the Arts
Edward Villella: Founding Artistic Director, Miami City Ballet
Return to Top
Our Staff & Volunteers
Carson Kievman - Executive Artistic Director
Ivona Shedroff - Administration
Lili Lorenzo - Design Consultant (Volunteer)
Carol Jacque - Design Consultant (Volunteer)
Ron Ungar - CPA Consultant (Board Member)
Carol Foster - Development Consultant
Return to Top